Saturday, January 9, 2010

From Glory to Humility

There are realities in the Christian faith so awe-inspiring that it seems nearly impossible for me to comprehend, too incredible for me to feel deeply, a realization that to seek to know this truth brings a weight to one's worship and gratitude I can hardly bear.  Below is one of these truths.

In Ezekiel 1:22, 25-28, Ezekiel describes his vision of the throne of God:
"Over the heads of the living creatures there was the likeness of an expanse, shining like awe-inspiring crystal, spread out above their heads...And above the expanse over their heads there was the likeness of a throne, in appearance like sapphire; and seated above the likeness of a throne was a likeness with a human appearance. And upward from what had the appearance of his waist I saw as it were gleaming metal, like the appearance of fire enclosed all around. And downward from what had the appearance of his waist I saw as it were the appearance of fire, and there was brightness around him. Like the appearance of the bow that is in the cloud on the day of rain, so was the appearance of the brightness all around.  Such was the appearance of the likeness of the glory of the LORD. And when I saw it, I fell on my face, and I heard the voice of one speaking."
Ezekiel knew this to be God but did not know this person to be the Son, to be Jesus Christ, but it is the Son who reveals the person of God in the ways our physical senses can comprehend, and comparing this passage with Eph. 1:21-22; Phil. 2:9-10; Heb. 1:8; Rev. 1:13-16; 4:2-3; and 5:13 shows clearly that this is indeed Jesus Christ, the Son of God, Ezekiel is witnessing on the throne, and here is the truth I can hardly bring myself to meditate on, this is where it hits home:

"You will never fully grasp and understand the love of God until you grasp and understand the distance between the throne and the cross" (Robert Reyburn).

The distance between the Son of God on His throne, His pure glory, to His death on the cross, His complete humiliation.  I can hardly bring myself to think on and feel this more deeply.  Like a giant wave coming up and crashing down over my head.  I can barely bring myself to stay put and let its truth wash over and in and through me.

"How great the Father's love for us?  How vast beyond all measure?  That He would give His only Son to make a wretch His pleasure."  The Father's love is the Son's love, and how great is His love, how vast?  It is the distance from the throne to the cross, from His glory to His humiliation.  How great indeed is His love for us, indeed is its vastness beyond all measure, for no one can comprehend the distance that none of us will ever go out of love for another.

May you and I never forget how great is His love.  May you and I boldly approach the throne of grace as sons and daughters and ask, "Help me to understand more clearly, help me to feel more deeply the depth and greatness of Your love."

__________________________________________________________________________________

I have been reading Ezekiel, and anyone who has read Ezekiel knows how difficult this book can be to understand or apply, which is why I have been listening to a sermon series on it for further teaching and understanding, which is what God used to teach me this, to remind me how great the distance was for Him to give His life for me.

2 comments:

bleedingdaughter said...

im trying to get into your papers, really;)
no seriously, i was kinda sad for myself, im not in a place to feel the hugeness of this. i understand it, and ive been blown away by the general idea before- just not in reference to ezekiel.
i wonder why truths like this are slippery. is it in direct relation to the fact that it has to do with such awesome power? like, we cant sit in his overwhelming presence all the time?

i called you the other night to chat. hope we can do that soonish

Jonathan Rosen said...

I didn't see it either. It was someone much further along in his sanctification who pointed this out.

For me, I think they are slippery because I do not pray through my reading as I ought. The pastor was likely reading and reading and praying and praying for God to reveal the truth of His word to him for him and for his church.

I never got your call (bummer). I want to make it happen to.