Monday, February 15, 2010

In honor of President's Day

I recommend the book I have recently started, 1776 by David McCullough.

I am about 50 pages into it, and it is great.  As a lover of fiction and someone who enjoys history, it is a book that weds the two beautifully, recounting the true events of 1776 while reading like a novel.  I love it so far, and I anticipate loving it the rest of the way through.


It was recommended indirectly to me by Nate Hughes via his blog (click the link to check out his take on the book).  It even made his "Top Nine Books of 2009."  So, I figured I'd ask for it for Christmas, and it has not disappointed.

The book also contains maps and pictures of painted portraits of most of the major figures, which I found rather...cool.  You are thirty pages in, and you see the pictures and think, "I 'know' that guy.  He did 'this' or is like 'that,'" and you have a real face to go with the real people of history you are beginning to follow for one of the most historic years on the world stage.

So, in honor of President's Day, check out 1776, a book that follows many of our nations early presidents (especially Washington) and founding fathers through one of the most important years of their lives.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

how many books does this make now that you are 50 pages into? ;)