Sunday, May 31, 2009

So much so fast

Well, first entry from the Czech Republic. It's been quite a journey so far. It's hard to believe I have a whole summer to go because so much has already happened. The Amazing Race makes one feel like they have been here much longer than just a few days.

We started in Vienna, Austria; and traveled to many of its most famous sights, overcoming obstacles like physical challenges, hedge mazes, photo scavenger hunts, and navigating the public transit system. We then traveled to Bratislava, Slovakia; which is where the hostel we stayed was.

Day 2 sent us to Budapest, Hungary. Huge surprise! I had no idea I would be traveling to Slovakia, let alone Hungary, during the Amazing Race. Budapest has some beautiful places, specifically the Liberty Statue at the top of this large hill that overlooks the whole city, which we had to climb up as part of one of our challenges.

Budapest was the hardest day by far. I don't think I have ever done more walking and stair climbing in one day in my life. I felt like I walked myself into a six pack. Forget crunches. Just walk from 8:00 a.m. until 2:00 p.m., and add a large hill/mini mountain climb and an umpteen amount of stairs with pretty much no breaks, and I guarantee you'll be closer to a six pack than you were before. Your feet will also hate you, but that's just a side effect.

We have been in Frydlant, Czech Republic at Hotel Malenovice. We will all be here through Thursday going through internship training, and then we're off for the summer -- writing English lessons, preparing Bible lessons, budgeting, traveling, preparing for camp, visiting youth groups, and all the surprises God usually gives us along the way.

Check out the video below for a slide show that Cory Dimler put together that chronicles the Amazing Race. He got some great photos.

Arrival & The Race from Cory Dimler on Vimeo.

No comments: